social and emotional themes for each session are highlighted to allow the facilitator to prepare for meaningful dialogue with students
selected vocabulary words from the day’s reading
provides background and contextual information that may be necessary for students to understand the reading
targeted discussion questions allow facilitators to invite meaningful social and emotional conversations with students
Journal Prompts & Essay:
thoughtful writing prompts provide opportunities for students to connect the story to their own lives, while developing their writing skills
ideas for monitoring progress are provided for instructors to effectively assess their students’ work
help bring the story to life with creative extensions; each handout is ready for students to complete independently
Each Teacher’s Guide Includes:
• A facilitator’s guide, with tips and resources for implementing the curriculum.
• A map of common core standards addressed through this program.
• Fully prepared lesson plans to teach a selected novel, including all handouts.
• Two assessments to monitor student progress throughout the program.
• A culminating essay-writing unit, along with instructions for final student portfolios.
• An appendix with additional teaching resources and activities for students to continue exploring this novel.